Monday, February 22, 2016

Winter Break Recap 2016

Here it is, the Monday morning after Winter Break, and as always, I'm met with mixed emotions. Part of me was starting to crave the routine & structure of our daily lives. The other part of me wishes I could just sleep in, take the girls on adventures, and be a stay at home mom every day. One thing is certain though, we had a fantastic week off & we have even more fun in store this weekend - so I have nothing to complain about! 


The girls were at Eric's mom's for the weekend, so I was able to get up & around without interruption before heading out to my last competition of the season. My team performed incredibly well & I was so proud of them - especially after all of the changes we'd made in the week leading up to it due to injuries . We got second by .35 - which is infuriating because all season long whenever we've gotten 2nd it's been by less than a point. 

I returned home from competition & snuggled in for a nap. Snow was falling & it was a cozy day with our fireplace lit up. I got my sorry butt up around 4:30 to "help" Eric with homemade Chicken Parmesan, and by help I mean I stole bites of fresh mozzarella every time his back was turned. Our dinner turned out delicious & I finished off the night watching Scandal in bed. (Side note - I'm really confused by what's going on with Olivia & Jake right now...) 

my plate of chicken parm #yum


We had brunch reservations for Valentine's Day at a restaurant we've never tried before - Hicks & McCarthy if you're interested. It had a diner feel to it, but had some upscale options like Lobster Eggs Benedict too. 

We followed up brunch with a romantic trip to Trader Joe's, where I got to pick out my own flowers then made another stop at Target. I mean, nothing says love like Target. 

While we were out, I got a text from my friend Linda asking if I wanted to go watch a bunch of our cheerleaders compete with their all-star teams that afternoon. Since I rarely get the chance to see them perform - they're usually traveling out of state - and I didn't have any kids, I jumped at the opportunity! We had such a good time & I got a ton of new ideas - because I'm a nut job & I'm already thinking about my routine for next year. 


I slept in on Monday & then read my book in bed until close to 9. That never happens, so I soaked it all in. I finally got up, got dressed & headed out to pick up the girls at Eric's mom's house. There is nothing like a solo road trip when you're a mom. I listened to my own music, drank my tea, and relished in my final moments of peace! 

I got to Hornell & headed for my hair appointment with my favorite stylist. I still drive 1 1/2 to get my hair cut because I love her... and it's about $100 less expensive than it is in Rochester. #haircutsaintcheap Once I was finished with my appointment, I met Eric's mom at Liv's Clothing Exchange to do a little shopping for the girls. I shared with you on my Friday Favorite's post that I got 15 items for $40 - and they were all Gymboree, Old Navy, Gap, Carters, or Janie & Jack. They're also in impeccable condition! I couldn't believe we got such great deals, but I'll definitely be stopping back next time I'm in town! 

Around 2:30, I loaded up my girls & we headed back for Rochester! Normally on Mondays, we have dance class, but the studio was closed for winter break, so we just headed home to relax in our pajamas & eat a yummy dinner of leftover chicken parm.   

so happy to have them home on Monday night

We woke up to about 10 inches on Tuesday morning & by the end of the storm, we had 22. The snow just wouldn't stop! Needless to say, we stayed in all day, Eric worked from home, and we caught up on all the snuggle time that we missed over the weekend! 


By Wednesday morning, we were all ready to get out of the house. I got everybody ready, and we headed off to the library. The girls were in the car for about 3 minutes when I looked back & saw them both totally passed out. I'm not a fool, so I used the opportunity to drive thru Dunkin & read my book in the car while they slept. About 45 minutes later, Ella woke up & we headed in! 

This is a brand new library & it was our first time going. I was blown away by how nice it is! We'll definitely be frequenting it this summer! 

Ella picked out a bunch of princess books & a few CDs to listen to in the car, then played with the kitchen, the puzzles, and anything else she could get her hands on. Around 11, I coaxed her out with the promise of lunch at Tom Wahl's and we headed off to the mall! 

My mission for the shopping trip was twofold - 

  1. Get Ella clothes that fit her. She's gone through a SERIOUS growth spurt & is wearing all 5T clothes now. I have no idea how this happened, but she's suddenly so tall & skinny. 
  2. Find outfits for St. Patrick's Day. I waited until the last minute last year & had to scramble. Not this year though, we're all set! 

We shared a cheeseburger & fries for lunch, threw pennies in the fountain, rode the caursoel and watched some shows in the stroller - all while I was getting my steps in for the day! 


Thursday was an early morning because we had to be at the doctor's office at 9 for Livy's booster shot. It was a super quick appointment though, and then we were off to The Strong for the day. But first, we had to pick up my helper for the day, Emma! 

The Strong is awesome for kids & Ella's favorite part is always the kid sized Wegmans that they have set up. She could stay there all day & do her shopping! 

She also loved the story book section & climbed Jack's Bean Stalk at least 10 times! 


We woke up on Friday morning with nothing to do until 4 p.m., so I made chocolate chip pancakes for Ella & let her play in her PJs while I did some work for school. Livy played on the floor & it was super low key. 

Around lunch time, I knew I needed to get us packed for our weekend at the country house, so I started a load of laundry, put Ella in the tub, and then down for her nap. She slept until 3 while Livy snoozed in her swing & I got us all ready to go. 

We hopped in the car at 4, filled up on gas, swung through DD, then headed to pick up Aunt Britt for our road trip! We hadn't been to the country house since Christmas, so there was a whole lot of excitement in the car. 

We picked up pizza from our favorite spot in Hornell, then pulled in about 3 minutes after my parents arrived. At that point, all hell broke loose & pandemonium ensued. 

Saturday & Sunday: 

On Saturday we ran to Wegmans to get some food - since we keep next to nothing at the country house in the winter - and Livy got to ride in the truck cart for the first time! Ella was so excited about it! 

Once we got back to the house, we decided it was probably time for us to take down the Christmas tree. Ella was determined to climb the ladder & help her Gramps...

We had dinner with my grandma that night, but other than that all we did was snuggle & watch shows together. We had really missed my parents these past few weeks. 

We left for Rochester around 10 & made a quick pit stop at Costco to pick up some essentials. They were passing out samples of cheesecake & I wish I had a picture of Ella's face. She loved it! She's definitely a girl after my own heart. 

Once at home, I worked on some school work while Eric kept an eye on the girls. Then, I packed us up & got the car loaded for heading back to school. I just love low key Sundays when I have the chance to prep for the week - so it was the perfect ending to my break! 

Happy Monday! 

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...